Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Question about Bookmacterize Bookmarklet (Read 34631 times)
Mirskyman
Re: Question about Bookmacterize Bookmarklet
Reply #35 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Just tried the Add Here menu item in Safari and it worked fine.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #34 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
We published BookMacster 1.6 (Beta) today.  BookMacster's Status Menulet (the BookMacster icon on the right side of your Menu Bar) and Dock Menu now have Add Here menu items.  So now you have additional options besides the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet for adding bookmarks while browsing in Safari.  Feedback is welcome.

Also, we're still unable to reproduce the problem Mirsky is having, which is that  the BookMacsterize Bookmarklet does not work in Safari.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

To update to the Beta version, launch BookMacster and follow these instructions:

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #33 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Okay, no problem.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #32 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 7:25am
Print Post  
I have not forgotten about this issue, although it is difficult and not reproducible.  Got up this morning and realized that we needed to spend the whole day today testing with Mac OS 10.7 Lion, just in case Apple manages to pull a fast one and release Lion next Monday at their annual developer's conference.  Bookdog is done but BookMacster still has a few issues.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #31 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Okay, I did follow those instructions when trying to use the bookmarklet with the different browsers.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #30 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Mirskyman wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:17am:
I selected Bookmacsterize from the item in the menu bar while running each browser. Is that what you wanted me to do? Or is there another way to run the bookmarklet?
Probably you did the correct thing.  Let me re-word it formally, just to make sure:

• Launch BookMacster and open a Bookmarkshelf document.
• Activate a web browser (Firefox, Camino, Chrome, whatever).
• Open a browser window.
• Browse to a web page, any web page.
• Click the BookMacsterize bookmarklet.

Expected Result:

If you already have this URL bookmarked, BookMacster will play two short beeps and display a dialog asking how to handle the duplicate.  If you don't already have this site bookmarked, BookMacster will play the sound effect of a page ripping and just add the bookmark.  Depending on your Preferences settings, BookMacster may or may not display its Inspector. [/quote]

Mirskyman wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:17am:
Nothing happened in any of the browsers when I choose Bookmacsterize from the menu bar.
OK, I shall think some more.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #29 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Jerry, I'm not sure if I followed your instructions entirely. I did export the Bookmarklet to Firefox, Chrome and Camino. However, I wasn't sure how to access the bookmarklet in those browsers.

I selected Bookmacsterize from the item in the menu bar while running each browser. Is that what you wanted me to do? Or is there another way to run the bookmarklet?

Nothing happened in any of the browsers when I choose Bookmacsterize from the menu bar.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #28 - May 31st, 2011 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Mirsky.  Sorry we haven't been able to figure out the answer yet, but that error message that you get in your console is quite paradoxical…

BookMacster  [pid]  LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -10814 for application (null) urls gent);

Although the Console says that the message was issued by BookMacster, I'm not sure I believe it.  I set my debugger to break on that function LSOpenFromURLSpec() and it doesn't even get called when I BookMacsterize a bookmark.  And indeed there is no reason why it should be, because this function is used to access a URL scheme, which *Safari* should be doing in order to access BookMacster.  Also, the variables location.href, document.title, etc. should have been replaced by the action of JavaScript in Safari with the bookmark's URL, name, etc. before that message ever left Safari.

Please export the BookMacsterize bookmarklet to whatever other browsers you have.  For example, click in the menu BookMacster ▸ Export Bookmarklet to ▸ Firefox ▸ (QuickMerge – No Delete).  Does the BookMacsterize bookmarklet work in other browsers?  (The presence of the Bookmarking Widget in Firefox or Chrome does not affect the bookmarklet; you don't need to use it, but it should still work.)

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #27 - May 31st, 2011 at 2:55am
Print Post  
The Zapple link worked. BookMacster played the sound and created the bookmark.

Enable Java and Enable Javascript are both checked ON.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #26 - May 31st, 2011 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Thank you, Mirsky.

Short story is that the data has narrowed the mystery somewhat but still results in a paradox.

Please click this link:

bookmacster://add?url=http%3A%2F%2Fzapple.com&name=Zapple

Does BookMacster plays its page-ripping sound effect and create a bookmark in the Bookmarkshelf to a mythical company named "Zapple"?

Another thing – this doesn't matter on my Mac but let's check it anyhow.  In Safari's Preferences ▸ Security, are Enable Java and Enable JavaScript checked ON?  If not, check them ON and try to BookMacsterize again.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #25 - May 30th, 2011 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Jerry, the special version of BookMacster didn't solve the problem. I've attached the file BookMacster_Trouble.zip

BookMacster_Trouble_006.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #24 - May 30th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
To Mirsky or anyone else who is experiencing the BookMacsterize bookmarklet not working:

At your convenience please download the special version (1.5.5) from here:

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/debug/BookMacster.zip.

Launch it, open a Bookmarkshelf, activate Safari, browse to a web page and hit the BookMacsterize bookmarklet.

There is some chance that it might work now since we changed a couple things.

If it works, quit it, launch the regular BookMacster 1.5.4 and see if it works in 1.5.4.

If it does not work, quit it and relaunch the special BookMacster 1.5.5.

Click in the menu BookMacster ▸ Uninstall.  It will not uninstall since we hijacked that menu command to write some data to the system logs instead.

In any case, version 1.5.5 will have written alot of stuff to your system logs, which I'd like to see.  To send it, click in the menu Help ▸ Trouble Zipper and follow the instructions.  You may answer "Don't Include" to all of the questions since we don't need to see any of your bookmarks for this issue.

Send me the results along with a description of what happened.

Thank you.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #23 - May 30th, 2011 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Mirskyman wrote on May 30th, 2011 at 4:24am:
Yesterday, he sent me an Applescript that entirely deleted SpiceRack from my computer. It didn't fix the bookmarklet problem
Hang on, there Mirsky.  Reading back through this thread, you had convinced me back on Reply #14 that VideoBox and SpiceRack were not guilty.  The only reason I replied to that was to tell you that I thought you were going to have to reinstall SpiceRack if you wanted VideoBox to work again, but you could find out if that was true from TastyApps.  I gave up blaming SpiceRack for this particular problem two days ago.

(There is still another issue where SpiceRack is my secondary suspect, but you're not having that issue.)

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Mirskyman
Reply #22 - May 30th, 2011 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Jerry, sounds good. I look forward to the special version.

By the way, the guy at TastyApps has been very responsive. Yesterday, he sent me an Applescript that entirely deleted SpiceRack from my computer. It didn't fix the bookmarklet problem so he had me run another Applescript that sent him my system info. I'm still waiting to hear back from him. But I'm doubting whether any of his software is causing the problem with the bookmarklet.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #21 - May 29th, 2011 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Mirsky,

We'll be publishing an update, probably on the beta channel, which will be BookMacster 5.1.4, in the next day or so.  Skip the update because I'm going to send you a link to a special version for tracking down this problem.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint